Thursday 31 December 2009

Terrific Troia

Lisbon is a developing golfing destination, with its great climate and fantastic history, it's become a great alternative to the golfing mecca that is the Algarve.  I love Lisbon, its a historic city, yet small and modern enough to tour easily; but the main reason why I love Lisbon is I think its the best golfing destination in Europe.

It may not have the depth of great courses that the Algarve or Costa Del Sol has, but it certainly has the breadth.

Take Troia as an example.  Where? I hear you ask.  Troia.


It may sound like something out of Athenian legend, but its one of the best kept golfing secrets in Europe.  True, it is tucked out of the way from the other main Lisbon golf courses (actually I enjoyed the trip and the ferry ride taking in the Dolphins).  But its worth the trek.

Firstly you pass the historic city of Setubal.  Including the 16th Century Fortress of St Filipe.

Troia Golf Course is a links style course, much in the same vane as Oitavos Dunes ( north of Lisbon).  It's designed by the famous American golf architect Robert Trent Jones Senior, and is a spectacular links, and one of the most fascinating golf challenges in Portugal. The magazine Golf World elected in 2003, as the 25th best European Golf Course. 

As mentioned, the usual approach to the Troia Golf Championship Course is straight over the Estuary of the Sado River - a pleasant short ferry ride from Setubal to the Peninsula of Troia, a region of great natural beauty near the Atlantic Ocean. 

The greens are small with naturally shaped defensive bunkers and hummocks, while the fairways are narrow and hemmed in by sandy dunes and pine trees, providing a genuine test of skill for the lowers handicap golfers together with enjoyment for the more modest players.



The best accolade I can give this great golf course, is the fact that it ate my up and spat me out.  But upon holing out on the 18th (after losing money to a Scot) all I could think about was how I would play it next time.  I just hope I wont have to wait too long.




No comments: