Sunday 6 May 2007

Hanbury Manor

I receive numerous invites to play different courses, most which I kindly decline (so that I actually do some work for most of the week. However when an invite for a corporate golf day at Hanbury Manor dropped on my desk, I immediately accepted.



I've played Hanbury three times now. I absolutely love the course. It is always really well kept and can pride itself on very good greens.



The front and the back nine are very different.



The first is a driveable par 4 with a huge hollow protecting a raised and undulating green which is a real 3 putter. The second is a short and tempting Par5 but a shallow green is protected by a lake so gives a real risk reward.



the Par 4 8th is stroke index 1. A long sweeping par 4 with a pond protecting a tilted green.



The back nine is good, two short but tricky par 3's and with par 4's using the water cleverly it has some great features.



My favourite is another shortish Par 5 narrowing to an approach shot over water to a 2 tiered green. I won longest drive there on the day (over 300 yards - very good for me!!!!).







Hanbury's hotel by Marriott is a good 5 star and the whole complex is a very good and different offering to the Grove.

No comments: